Social Media: The Place for News?

Social Media: The Place for News?

Daniella Tagliavia, Staff Writer

Students these days are getting most of their information from social media. The news is boring to most students, therefore, they don’t watch it. Without social media students around the world wouldn’t be as informed of the news.

Brittney Gaulger, a sophomore in WHBHS says she finds out most of her information going on around the world online. Brittney like most other kids these days, prefers to use social media to find out what is going on in the world. She says, “I’d rather use social media than watch the news because I’m always out and already on my phone and I never have time to watch T.V anyway.” Of all the social media platforms Brittney says that she thinks the most credible social media for news is Instagram and Facebook, but adds on by saying “watching the news is definitely the most credible to find out information.” When Brittney finds the time to watch it, she sometimes watches it on channels 4-12. “I trust some things on social media but not all of it is reliable,” says Brittney.

Jillian Vargas, a sophomore in WHBHS, says she finds out most her information going on around the world through social media. Being a sophomore in high school, Jillian never watches the news because she doesn’t have the time. “I prefer being informed through social media about the news rather than watching the news because its more accessible,” Jillian says. In Jillian’s opinion the most credible sources for news is Twitter, although she also says if she watched the news, that would by far be the most credible source for news. “I trust what I see on social media, especially Twitter because it’s all usually true.”

Olivia Santora, a sophomore in WHBHS, says she finds out most of her information online. She prefers to use social media to find out news because she says, “it’s easy to use and when I’m scrolling through my feed stuff just pops up and I read it.” Olivia, like many others, thinks that Twitter is the most credible source for information. “I don’t watch the news because I never have time to,” Olivia says. “I trust news on social media because most of the news that pops up is sponsored or you have to click on it to find out more information and it goes to a reliable website.”

Students these days don’t ever watch the news. They prefer getting their information from social media because it is easier and more entertaining. However, news on social media might not be true all the time. If you are looking for the most credible source to find out information that is going on in the world, the T.V. news and news websites is the best place to go.