Big Goals for WHB Softball

Big Goals for WHB Softball

Ashley Erbis, Staff Writer

The WHBHS varsity softball team is moving into the spring season with big goals.

With no seniors, the young team is changing its ways from last season. By keeping their heads in right from the beginning, they plan on starting on top. Sophomore Antonella Russo says, “Our goal this season is to win games early on in the season, unlike last year where we felt a lot of pressure to win our games in order to make the playoffs. We also aspire to go farther in playoffs since the last two years we’ve been eliminated early on.” 

Last season, the team had won nine out of the last 10 games of their regular season to earn their place as the 11th seed in the playoffs.   

With half of the team returning and the other half being new players, the team consists of four juniors and nine underclassmen. Antonella says, “Even though we are a young group, we’ve been playing together for so long, and I’m confident we’ll continue to grow, improve, and become even closer than we already are this year, and for years to come.” 

Our relationship as a group is stronger than it has been. Sophomore Rylee McGinness says, “Even though I am only a sophomore I feel like my job is to help keep the team’s chemistry alive.” 

The team will be together for the next two-three seasons and have an advantage over the other schools because of the close relationships with and great connection on the field. Three weeks into the season and the team is already closer than ever.  

Freshman Addison Celi will continue to be the team’s starting pitcher after the past two seasons. One of the team’s best assets, she earned all-league honors in seventh grade. Celi says, “It’s a great feeling to be able to perform for the girls. I’m very happy with where I am as a pitcher right now and I look forward to building off my season from last year. It’s an even better feeling to play with my friends. I’m incredibly grateful to be a part of this team and nothing is possible without them.” 

Look out for this powerful young team while they take on any unpredictabilities together. They kicked the season off with a 17-0 win over Rocky Point. Check out the girls’ Instagram @whbvarsitysoftball and come support them!