The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Sweet Season for GVB

Suffolk County Champs!

After last year’s unfortunate loss in the first round of the playoff, the Westhampton Beach girls varsity basketball team has redeemed themselves, taking the first-ever class AA Suffolk County Championship title in school history.

Reporter Desirée Keegan wrote in the Southampton Press, “The Westhampton Beach girls basketball team should never be counted out no matter the odds.” 

Going from 17 wins and 4 losses overall last year, losing one starter, and gaining two new eighth graders the girls ended up going out with 21 wins and 3 losses overall, and the class AA County Championship title! 

Junior Captain Shannon Sweet claims that their strong bond contributed to the girls winning. “This team was so special because of how much we bonded as a team. We all got along so well and there were never any problems which I think added to the fact that we were able to win the county championship and make it to LICs.” 

Senior captain Sarah Gormley thought of the team as not only best friends but also family. “This particular team was very special because of our strong connection, we were a family, best friends, and we hung out multiple times outside of basketball and school which brought us closer on the court.”

In the Southampton Press Sarah stated that Coach Peters was a big part of the team’s success she said, “She is truly the best coach I could ask for and she finds a way to make all her players feel important.” 

Coach Peters said that the girls not only improved physically but mentally.  This year, “Mentality was significantly changed. This year was a continuation of what was started in past  years and sometimes you have to get into play-off situations and fall short to win.” 

The girls used positive affirmations at every practice before the championship. 

Eighth-grader Chloe Blowes said, “It was hard to change from the middle school to the high school team at the beginning because of the competition and the skill level increase but as a season went on I got more comfortable.” 

Mia Velez says that in the next four years, she hopes to develop her game even more and see how far the team can get. 

According to Coach Peters, “Although the team is very young their experience is not young.”

Follow the team on Instagram @whb_girlshoops