The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Westhampton Beach, a Championship School

What’s in the water of Westhampton Beach? With boys volleyball making it to states and girls tennis doubles winning it all, Hurricane athletics have been on fire!

BOYS VOLLEYBALL

Fall sports, winter sports, spring sports, you name it, Westhampton has a high-level team competing for a title. This fall, it was the boys volleyball team and the girls tennis doubles. Boys volleyball team were County Champions and Long Island Champions. They battled all season long all the way up until the end where they took second in New York State. Head Coach Tuttle said that the key to success for this team was their hard working attitude. 

All off-season the team showed up and worked hard to improve. Led by a strong group of seniors the team went 15-3 with a tough schedule. Coach Tuttle says that those tough games were what prepared them for the playoffs. He said, “Not only were we talented, but the boys played their best on the biggest stages.”

As their pre-season preparation begins they look forward to continuing their winning culture and doing the hokey pokey, and turning themselves right back around into the playoffs.

GIRLS TENNIS

A Storybook ending. In their last year of being in doubles together Matilda Buchen and Julia Stabile were State Champions, County Champions, and Division Champions. When it came to preparing for their amazing playoff run, Julia and Matilda spent countless hours working on their craft on the court.  Julia said, “Our journey was marked by relentless dedication, spending endless hours honing our skills at Sportime.”

Although they encountered difficulties along the way, they managed to stay present and play it point by point. Their perseverance is what really counted in the long run, Julia said, “No matter what happened on court, we always gave it our all.” Playing doubles takes a lot of skill but it also takes two that work great together and communicate the best. “When you are playing doubles with your best friend, every match is enjoyable, no matter what hurdles are encountered.” Although it was a bittersweet ending, they finished their last season together as State Champions but more importantly proud best friends.

GIRLS BASKETBALL

County Champs, for the first time since the Belle Smith era, the girls basketball team has a lot to be proud of. Led by captains Sandra Clarke, Sarah Gormley, and Shannon Sweet, the girls finished the season with a 21-3 record. Coach Peters says that the one game at a time approach was what led the ‘Canes through the playoffs. “Sometimes we even broke that down to quarters or even one possession at a time especially moments when we were trailing our opponent. It had to be one defensive stop before a bucket at a time.” Their semi-final and County Championship game were both decided by under seven points. The game against West Babylon in the semi-finals ended 38-37 and their championship game against Bellport ended 47-41. 

The county champs finished their season in the Long Island Championship with a good battle against East Meadow. Although they would have liked to go further, returning captains Sandra and Shannon are looking forward to next season. Shannon said, “I’m looking forward to a hopefully as good season as this year. We are losing three seniors that we are going to miss but the rest of the team is pretty young so I think we can make it just as far if not further.” 

Having a young group proved itself this year with some young guns, freshman Kate Sweet and eighth grader Chloe Blowes stepping up to the stage. With the girls feeling stronger than ever after this season Sandra said, “I am excited to see the growth in our returning players and how we can build upon what we had from this year. I’m really excited to make it back to the LIC, break some records, and win what is ours.” 

SWIMMING

On land, underwater, it doesn’t matter, Westhampton Beach athletes cover it all. Swimmer Max Buchen is a New York State Champion in the 100 meter breaststroke. The Navy commit took gold this past March with a time of 54.28! Last year’s awards include, All County, All State, All Long Island and now he is an All-American! Max says it’s great ending off his high school career with a splash. Max also took bronze in 200 individual medley with a personal best of 1:51.56. Mark Anderson, Max’s club swim coach said it was his tenacity and work ethic that propelled him to his win. Only returning to competitive swimming two years ago, Max left his mark on Westhampton Beach Swimming forever.

SPRING SPORT PREVIEW

Looking forward to Spring Sports, Westhampton Beach has a couple of outstanding teams that are thrilled to shake off the winter frost and blossom into champions on the field.

After an early exit to last year’s playoffs, the girls lacrosse team is looking to avenge that loss and make it back to the state tournament. Finishing the season with a league record of 10-4, the girls are hoping to improve upon that this season. 

Boys lacrosse is hoping to turn over a new leaf in the program! With much excitement surrounding this year’s seniors, they hope to have a good shot at playoffs. With a strong win against Walt Whitman to start the season, things seem to be looking up for them.

Girls softball, coming off of a disappointing third round exit in the playoffs, are eager to return and compete for a championship. Finishing last year’s season with a record 14-9, the girls are starting off hot at 2-1 and look to continue that success with an exciting schedule coming up. 

Boys golf is gearing up for the State Tournament this spring. Qualifiers Zach Berger and Owen Jessop are eager to compete and showcase their skills on the course.