The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

GVL Looking for Another LIC

The girls lacrosse team is coming into this year better than ever.  Last year they had an unexpected loss in the first round of the playoffs to Mount Sinai.

Great things are expected to come from this year’s team. The team is understanding of the type of system they are playing in. They all have faith in their ability to win and confidence in their game. Junior midfielder Reese King said, “My expectations for this season are high because we have a very experienced team. I expect we should make the playoffs and get to a county championship at least.” 

King led the team last year in goals scored and has committed to play Division 1 lacrosse at UNC. 

The team is pushing this year to show how good they truly are.  After last year’s loss in playoffs  the team had doubts about their ability to win another LIC. 

According to senior captain Peyton Worby, “We have 20 returners and 3 new players so the connections on the field are made and we have been working really hard in practice. I’m confident we are going to make it far this year.” 

Coach Bergmann said, “One of the benefits of this year is that we have 20 returners who know the expectations and systems that we run.  Part of our problem last year was focus and intensity.  We really touched base last year at the end of season on what we could do to not have any regrets this year.  The girls have worked so hard this off season to make sure their skills and athletic abilities are where they need to be.  My job is to put the puzzle together and facilitate the strategies that we need to play against elite level competition.”

Part of Bergmann’s plan is being flexible and prepared.  She continued, “I also plan on watching lots of films and making adjustments as needed. The team has put the hours in to achieve what they strive for; they have all made sacrifices to push themselves to their full potential.”

With the team’s confidence and potential, Worby said, “We are using the loss to make it farther and hopefully to the LIC.”