Westhampton Beach Digs Pink

Senior wall at the Dig Pink game.

Senior wall at the “Dig Pink” game.

Tori Cummins, Staff Writer

On October 22nd, the girl’s varsity volleyball team had their annual “Dig Pink” game against Hauppaugue to raise money for breast cancer research. The girls have been raising money through bake sales, selling t-shirts, bracelets, stickers, and receiving donations. Last year, they raised over $1,200 and donated it to the Side Out Foundation for Suffolk County. This year they followed that amount with a whopping $1,000 for 2015. The Westhampton Beach community thanks everyone who helped support the cause by purchasing items or donating! “The “Dig Pink” game is very close to my heart and is a great game for a great cause” says freshman varsity volleyball player, Maura Pesce.

The team started the game off by winning the first two sets, by close scores. Then the third set the ‘Canes lost by two points. Finally in the fourth set, the girls pulled through and defeated Hauppaugue, leading them to earn the league title. The varsity girls are 18th in the division and 2nd in the league. They have a killer record of 15-1 which is a rare occasion for a varsity Class A sport, and we can still support them by watching their first playoff game, the location and date is soon to be announced.

Besides the fact that the game was for an incredible cause, it was also the last home game at WHB for the seniors. The five girls that are graduating this year; Sunny Foglia, Arianna Brierton, Shea Casey, Lexi Pellechia, and Maddie Neuberger, have been on Coach Zaloga’s team for many years. From the legend himself, Coach Zaloga says,“This is a great group of seniors, I’ve been coaching them for six or seven years, it will definitely be hard saying goodbye to them.”

Along with it being upsetting for Coach Zaloga, the seniors are also taking this goodbye close to their hearts. Senior Arianna Brierton said, “This game was bittersweet, because we’ve had a great season and I am looking forward to play offs. I’m proud of all our accomplishments, but it will definitely be difficult leaving everyone.” Goodbyes are hard but the Lady ‘Canes still have playoffs and possibly a championship to escalate their achievements.

The Lady Canes really “dug” out an incredible season!