The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Girls Lax Stopped by Sayville

The girls varsity lacrosse team ended their season on Saturday, May 18th with a disappointing loss against top-ranked Sayville in the second round of the playoffs. The team previously won against Mt. Siani 11-8 which led them to the semis. 

Going into the playoffs, captain Gabby Wendel says their main focus was to “stay composed and take it one day at a time”.  They have won big in the past and Wendel says, “We also know what it’s like to lose big too. We just hope to make the season last as long as possible”. 

Most of these girls have been on the team for two, three, four years and have been together for the past few seasons. 

Being together has led them closer as a family. Peyton Worby says,“As a team we have a lot of superstitions. We always write on our wrists before every game and we wear purple and blue ribbons.” 

The team played the game vs Sayville with grit and determination and left their all on the field. Even though they didn’t get the outcome they wanted, they still tried their hardest. 

These seniors are devastated to leave this team. It’s like a “second family” to them. Most seniors have been on GVL their entire high school career. Peyton Worby said, “I am beyond devastated to leave these girls and end the season this way. I love this team and will forever remember my time on WHB girls varsity lacrosse.”