The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Harborfields or Hurricanes?

Harborfields or Hurricanes?

The Boys varsity lacrosse team entered the first round against Harborfields, after a disappointing year of not making the playoffs the previous year.

Playoffs had not been made since WHB’s loss against Smithtown West in 2022. This year’s team was dedicated with the help of coaches Hoyt and Peters and senior captains Nolan Micholowski, Heath Sumwalt, and Will Drake. 

During the first game during the season against Harborfields, they were missing some of their key players, one known as their FOGO, who player gave Nolan a tough competition. 

Peters said, “And even some of the 50/50 ground balls that we didn’t get, whether it was at the face-off X or at other spots on the field, kind of changed the momentum swing a little bit.” At the end of the day, the captains led the team very well. 

Unfortunately, with a loss. Team captain Nolan Michalowski said, “I think Harborfields made a few more plays than us and we lacked a little energy.”

Coach Hoyt, joked that junior Jayden Valenti “lacked sideline cheer” and needed to show more support for his teammates.

This year’s playoff loss also left most of the team with shocking blonde locks, Heath originally said he would keep the blonde, even with the loss.  He said, “I definitely will be growing it out and cutting off all the blonde.” (However, he has since dyed it back to brown.) 

The rest of the team, specifically juniors Ethan Mackay and Aidan Kilroy, have asked their moms for advice and used an absurd amount of toner to get the orange out. 

For WHB seniors, the loss against Harborfields is the last time they will be playing on the turf as Hurricanes. Heath and Nolan advise underclassmen to “savor every moment and don’t have any regrets at the end of the season.  The bonds we made are very special and we are very lucky to have had a team like this.”