The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Gala Glimpse

American singer and songwriter, Tyla at the Met Gala.

The Met Gala, a highly exclusive event where fashion is showcased and celebrities shine, holds a unique place in the fashion industry. But what really goes on behind those steps? 

For months before the Met Gala, major designers work on the looks they plan to feature. Each year, 250 rare pieces of fashion are worn to the Met. Designers from all around the world have models, and celebrities display their own pieces. The Met has a big influence on fashion, advertising for designers’ brands, and raising money for the Costume Institute. 

The Theme

On the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the cameras seem to capture everything, but there are roles and details outside of these beautifully captured moments. Each year, the celebrities must follow a theme created by the chief curator, Andrew Bolton. He chooses a theme based on American fashion at the time and parts of fashion history. This theme dictates the dress code and decor for the night. This night is a big demonstration of how art and fashion influence each other and how fashion is an art by the designers. 

The Models 

The guest list of the Met Gala is kept a secret until the night before the event. The planners and hosts produce a list of potential guests, and the final cuts are made by Vogue director Anna Wintour.  The celebrities, however, aren’t on that guest list; they are chosen by the designers who want them to model their clothing.  As these celebrities and models walk down the Red Carpet, the Vogue team, interviewers, and everyone watching share their reactions and favorites on social media. 

In the past years, Rihanna has been a favorite, but this year, many people have a new favorite. Makenzie Gilbride said, “Tyla in the sand dress was the best look.” People on all different social media platforms loved and shared her look, which proves the influence that this event has on fashion and media. 

Tickets & Tables

The cost of celebrities’ and guests’ tickets and tables is pretty shocking. Junior, Kailyn Cunniff was asked how much she thought a table was at the event. She guessed, “I think it would be around $10,000.” Even that is high, but the actual cost of a table is $350,000. The designer purchases the table where his models sit. So, celebrities modeling clothing don’t usually pay for their table, but they do purchase their tickets, which are about $75,000 each. 

The Designers

From major fashion labels to super successful designers, works of art are shown on the red carpet and up the steps of the museum. The designers are also chosen by the hosts and Anna Wintour. These fashion labels include Versace, Christian Dior, Prada,  Alexander McQueen, Chanel, and Givenchy.  Chosen specifically and carefully, these labels work on their best pieces to match the theme and still influence fashion while being in style. These outfits are preapproved and then captured on camera for the world to see. It is a huge deal to be invited, and it’s even bigger when they are shown to the public for everyone to share their thoughts. 

The Met Gala is a huge exhibition where fashion designers and labels are given the chance to flaunt and feature their works of art that are made and tailored to perfection. This event is where fashion is broadcasted as artwork, and art is presented as pieces of clothing. 

If you missed the Met Gala red carpet, you can rewatch it on Vogue.com!