The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Softball’s Project Seams

Girls varsity softball team. Photo courtesy of Kayla Spanbock.

This season, the girls varsity softball team shed light on a tough subject. Led by senior pitcher Rosalie Judd, they began Project Seams, a fundraiser raising money for mental health awareness and suicide prevention. All profits go to AFSP, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, a program that provides helpful resources that save lives, destigmatize mental illness and support suicide awareness. 

Project Seams started last fall after a devastating loss. Rosalie said, “In November of 2023, my travel team Fury lost our catcher, Jordan Kenna, to suicide. Jordan loved softball more than anything.” Her inspiration for starting the project was to keep her friend’s memory alive and shed light on the topic of mental health and suicide. Rosalie said, “Jordan was someone who even while battling her own mental health, helped people with theirs”. In a way, Project Seams is a way of continuing that work and helping others. 

On April 17th, the girls varsity softball team played in honor of Jordan Kenna. Project Seams was able to raise over $360 for AFSP. “Pitching in her honor healed my heart,” said Rosalie.

This project has positively impacted many others. In just a few short months, the impact made in the community is palpable. Sophomore, second baseman, Kayla Blair said, “Not only has [Project Seams] brought teams and players together in the softball world, but it helped communities better understand the struggles that those with mental illnesses go through.” She says it’s a great way to spread awareness about an important topic 

Rosalie agreed, “Not only has this been a healing experience for my travel team and I, but I am happy to say that this has been a healing experience for all those who have been affected by suicide. I am happy to be able to make a difference in people’s lives.”

“The best part for me is that we get to shed light on this issue while playing the game we love for people we love,” says Kayla.

Check out @_projectseams on Instagram for more information, and remember, “Everything isn’t always as it seams. Check in. Ask for help.”