Devious Licks Destroys Boys’ Bathroom

Avery in front of the locked boys bathroom

Quinn McCormack, Staff Manager

The TikTok trend “Devious Licks” became a problem in WHBHS this September when the boy’s bathroom was vandalized.  The issue in WHBHS has led to suspensions and hundreds of dollars worth of damages, including broken sinks, mirrors, and toilets. 

Devious Licks have taken the Internet by storm; students vandalize and steal various items from school bathrooms and post themselves on the Internet. The trend is nationwide and school leaders in Connecticut are closing due to the trend where the school suffered vandalization and defacing of school property. Norwich Free Academy l even closed down for a day.

In WHB sinks were ripped off the wall, mirrors were broken and vandalized.  Toilets overflowed and filled with bricks, leading to a school wide bathroom shutdown. 

In an interview, assistant principal said Mr. Bookamer said, ”The bathrooms are only closed when there is vandalism or if students are vaping. Once we are able to repair any broken items those bathrooms are reopened.”

Students of WHB had a lot to say on the issue. Sophomore Riley Miller said, “This is extremely disappointing to the Westhampton community and extremely disappointing. This is not a laughing matter.”

Many other students agree with him. Senior football player Aidan McKeon said, “It’s annoying! I hate having to walk across school to go the bathroom. I’m extremely disappointed in WHB students.”

Mr. Bookamer wanted to remind students, “All students need to take care of their school. If you are frustrated with bathrooms being closed, keep them in working order.  Do not take part in these activities.  If you see anyone doing something destructive, reach out to me.” 

Respect your school, WHB!