Booster Club Introduces New Camp

Natalie Ehlers, Staff Writer

The Booster Club has a brand new sports camp which is being offered to children in kindergarten through 8th grade. This camp offers soccer, cheerleading, track and field, basketball, and volleyball.  Each camp is a four day program for three hours a day.

The head of the Booster Club, Kathleen Thuene, said the camps “will focus on fun, teamwork, and sport specific drills.”

The camps are open to anyone and everyone.  Those who are going to be attending the high school soon get an added bonus: to work with their future coaches and possibly future teammates.

The longest running camp is the Track and Field camp, which will be held every Thursday June 29-August 3, 7-8pm. Participants will be able to get a real feel for what participating in track is like.  The camp will be run by the current girls track coaches, Megan Otten and John Broich.

Some current and past members of the girls varsity track team as well as some “really cool track parents” will also be helping out. This program will be special since it will allow children to get taught by athletes that have not only been League, County and State champions but also nationally ranked track and field athletes.

Coach Otten said, “We are hoping that kids who didn’t consider track as a sport now realize that it is something they can do.”

During the six weeks there will be one mock meet for campers and family and friends can see them show off their new skills.

These sports were chosen due to the varsity coaches availability to run the camp. But, the goal for next year is to add all sports, as well as art and music. The Booster Club supports all activities in the district, including sports, arts, and music.

Alos, next year, the goal is to offer summer rec in the morning and sport specific camps in the afternoon, making an all day camp.

As of June 1st enrollment is about 100 campers, signing up before June 15 will assure the campers a free T-shirt, but you can sign up the day of. For more information on the camp and to sign up click this link. http://whbboosterclub.com