The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Building Back Boys Baseball

Boys baseball is back in action, and the future is bright. 

A young team with six underclassmen, and one 8th grader up and down on varsity, the 2024 season will be a year of rebuilding, as the team expects big things for the upcoming years. With underclassmen getting solid time in varsity situations, they will be a force in the future. 

The team is currently coming off a 2-18 rough season.  The plate is where the team struggled most. This year that struggle at the plate could change. One of the main factors of this change will be junior Liam Anthony. Currently, Liam has interest from four D1 baseball schools. We interviewed him about the upcoming season.

Q: What are your expectations for this season? 

A:  “I expect to have a great season and show off all the hard work I put in the offseason.” Liam has put in countless hours on and off the field. He consistently has had five hitting lessons a week in the offseason. 

Q: What underclassman should we look out for in this upcoming year?  

A: “I’d say Luke Hefter, Jacob Permakoff, and Patrick Fay. We struggled with pitching last year and they can make a big impact on this season.” 

Q: What D1 schools currently have interest in you? 

A: ’’Marist, Boston College, Charleston, and Siena.”

Q: Is the future bright for WHB baseball? 

A: “Yes, I think we are going to have a good season this year and we have a very bright future.”

Next I interviewed varsity coach, coach Pulick. We asked him some similar questions to get his point of view. 

A: ‘‘Yes very bright we are in the middle of a good 3-4 years where most of our best players are very young.’’

Q: What players do you expect to become leaders on the team? 

A: “I would say the seniors are the natural leaders of the team, so Kevin Smith, Nicholas Rizzo, Riley Miller, and Ethan Seltzer.”

As WHB baseball is going through a rough patch in their program and have had a few rough years back to back, it is exciting to see a very young and talented team making its way up to varsity within the next year or so. WHB baseball plays 20 games in this upcoming season and expects to see major improvement from past years.