The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Boys Basketball Breakout Year

photo courtesy 27east.com
Jordan Bennett

The Hurricane boys basketball team is coming off one of their most electric, packed out overtime home wins in years against Hampton Bays on December 8th and an impressive 72-54 win over Amityville on December 18th at home.

This year’s team is looking strong and we could be headed towards a successful  season with leaders including Jorden Bennett, Andrew Mensch, and Hunter Sterling. The team lost seniors leaving the team very young and with not much experience, but this young team has tons of talent WHB basketball has seen in years. coming off a tough year of 7-13, with many close games and a few rough losses. 

The team unfortunately lost seven seniors leaving the team very young and with not much experience, but this young team has tons of talent, some of the most talent WHB basketball has seen in years.  

Bennett, a junior, said, “Our main goal is to win games and shut down other teams that are looking down on us. My personal goal is to be a role model for the team and execute when it is needed.” 

He continued,  “Make sure to keep an eye out for sophomore Truman Hahn, he should have a huge year, same with sophomore Malachi Bullock.” Bullock is a transfer from Riverhead in his first year at WHBHS.  

Senior Andrew Mensch says, “Make sure to keep an eye out for my guy, sophomore, Jude Allen, and sophomore, Levi Emerson.”   

Bennett, who was recently named to Newsday’s Top 100 basketball players on Long Island list, how he feels about this accomplishment.. He said, “This is huge for me. I have a big basketball family, and I am the first to be named in the Top 100. I have to remain humble and show everyone what I can do this season.” Bennett is coming off a 36 point game against Hampton Bays.

We also asked some players about their goals for this season. Most of the players are not only hoping for, but counting on, a bounce back season.  Truman said of his expectations, “I expect us to make the playoffs for the first time in a while.”  

Junior Dante Quinones revealed the team’s ultimate goal, “To compete for a county championship.”

Follow the boys progress on instagram @whb_hurricane_hoopers. Come out and watch them win at the next home game, January 5 against ESM.