The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Savoring Summer

Savoring+Summer

Summertime is the best time with warm weather and no school, but some teens resort to screen usage to distract themselves from boredom.

The average teen spends 7 hours and 22 minutes looking at screens daily. Over 7 hours of screen time has been linked to the development of vision problems, obesity, depression, and anxiety. 

Junior Lana Salvaggio said her screen time is 7 hours and 58 minutes. She said, “My screen time is way too high, making me feel unproductive.” 

Lana has tried some tricks to reduce her atrocious screen time. Just recently she turned off her notifications to not tempt her from going on her phone. She also tried getting off her phone when she realized she had been on it for more than one hour at a time. 

Junior Kailyin Cunnif says her screen time is 6 hours and 42 minutes. She says, “Over the summer my screen time will decrease because I’m more active and around my friends more often.” Kailyn says tanning, going to the beach, roasting marshmallows, singing campfire songs, and learning to cook keep her from being on her phone too much.

Getting a job over the summer is another activity to help with productivity. Getting a job will allow you to take time away from your phone, hang out with coworkers, feel more productive, and of course making money. 

Savor the summer by disconnecting from your phone and reconnecting with life!