Girls’ Soccer Looking to Score a Playoff Spot

Liv Jayne, Staff Writer

With their recent loss to John Glenn leaving the team with a 6-6-1 record, the WHB girls varsity soccer team was looking to make playoffs in their game on Friday, and is taking on their toughest competition yet, Bayport Blue Point.

Although the girls rotate their starting lineup, they rely heavily on seniors Lindsay Rongo, Mckinley Skala, Cassidy Canberg, Madison Steedman, Julia Worthington, Cayla Cuey, Dianna Glaser and Jemma Spitaleri. Despite the large amount of seniors the team has, they also utilize a lot of underclassman to play each game.

Among these underclassmen is sophomore right back Gabrielle Johnson. Gabby says that varsity “is a bigger commitment than JV but it is 100% worth it in the end because our team is like a family.” Gabby looks up to all of the older girls on and off the field for being amazing people.

Gabrielle says that the team is determined to win.  Focus and communication on the field will get them into playoffs and to defeat Bayport the team.

The team’s practices have included a lot more focus and team bonding as well as a 20 minute talk before games to play like they did against ESM.  

ESM pushed the soccer team so far that they never gave up and continue to tell each other to play like they did that day. Gabby says that Bayport being such a good team will push each position to have better technique and to be more aggressive.

In previous games, the team has taken a lesser team for granted and lost not playing like themselves.  According to Gabby, “Being an aggressive player you have to find a balance and watch your temper a little bit.”

Good luck to the Lady Canes on the rest of their season.