A Champion DETHRONED!

Picture taken from Google Images.

Nyarie Mason, Staff Writer

Ronda Rousey is an MMA fighter. She was born in Riverside County, California on February 1, 1987 to parents Ron Rousey and AnnMaria DeMars; she was born with her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck that damaged her vocal cords. She didn’t speak coherently until the age of six.

Ronda was a self -professed tomboy and swam from ages 6 to 10. She competed on the Jr. Olympic swim team where she placed at the state level. Her mother was a second-degree black belt and 1984 World Judo Champion. Later down the line, Ronda took up Judo. Ronda had a hard time socializing but Judo gave her confidence. She holds a 4th degree black belt in martial arts. At the age of 7, she became the youngest judoka in the 2004 Olympic games in Athens. That same year she won a gold metal at the World Junior Judo Championship in Budapest. Also in 2006, she became the first U.S. female in almost 10 years to win an A- level tournament.

She is the first U.S. athlete to win two Junior World Metals. After medaling in the Olympics, Ronda’s career hit a dead end. She did some bartending to make ends meet and tried to find a better paying job, but it was tough finding anyone that needed her particular skill set. By chance Ronda caught the Gina vs. Julie Kedzie fight on television and things changed from then on. She trained at Glendale Fighting Club under striking coach Edmond Tarverdyan and wrestling coach, Juan Martin Berberian along with other trainers.

Ronda had become undefeated since March 3, 2012, when she defeated Miesha Tate. In November of 2012, she became the first female fighter to sign a contract with the UFC. In 2015, she received the ESPY for best female Athlete and Best Fighter award, beating out Floyd Mayweather, Gennady Golovkin and Terrence Crawford.

Recently, Ronda Rousey, undefeated female champion, lost a fight to Holly Holm. Holly Holm is another fighter and quite a match for Ronda. Some may say that Ronda’s “cockiness” may have been one of the reasons for her losing to Holly. Maybe her loss has affected some thoughts of future fans and current fans? Upon the loss, there are questions that fans would like answered. According to Rashaad Mitchell, a senior at Westhampton Beach High School, he thought that Ronda would lose the fight because of her cockiness before the fight. “Yes because of her cockiness and attitude, she even predicted how she lost.” Rashaad indicates that Ronda’s attitude led her to losing this huge fight and her record as “undefeated” went as well. Cornelius Hedgebeth, a local Westhampton Beach Resident, states, “She was too over confident. She shouldn’t have gone into the fight like that, she should have stayed calm.” Cornelius also adds that because of her loss he is no longer a fan, “…I was until she lost.” Rashaad made it clear, saying, “No, I am not a fan but I respect her because she can back most of her talk up.”

There’s never been a problem with Ronda delivering what she talks and that night she did. “…Ronda is embarrassed, she disappointed many fans.” Rashaad Mitchell goes on. Many fans are upset about the loss of their favorite fighter and seeing the memes on social media has to take a toll on her. Ronda wasn’t seen for a few days after the fight until finally she was spotted with nothing but positivity and strong headedness. “I think Ronda underestimated her opponent,” Rashaad states.

However, Ronda usually delivers and most may wonder what happened that night where she couldn’t beat Holly Holm. According to Ronda, in a post interview, she had a concussion in the beginning of the fight and she couldn’t focus for the rest of the fight because she was done before the fight started. In the same interview Rousy talks about her loss to Holly saying,“I got hit in that first round… I cut my lip open and knocked a couple of my teeth loose… I wasn’t thinking clearly… It was like a dumbed- down dreamy version of your self-making decisions. I was just trying to shake myself out of it. I kept saying to myself, ‘You’re Ok, keep fighting. You’re Ok, keep fighting.’ ”

Most may wonder if Ronda is going to stop fighting after this loss to Holly. Interviewing Rashaad Mitchell asking him his opinion, he states, “No, she won’t stop fighting, she doesn’t have enough fights to be remembered, and become famous in UFC, and she will be mocked regardless because of her actions, and people will doubt her as an individual no matter what at this point in time.” Lastly, Cornelius feels Ronda may stop fighting due to her loss and get into something in films. Maybe this loss has changed her outlook on fighting. ““Yup. She said in an interview that she might not fight anymore and she might do other things like starring in movies.” Maybe Ronda will learn something from this experience.