The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

TikTok Tumble

TikTok+Tumble

TikTok has been a huge part of our lives for the last eight years. Now congress is threatening to band it. The U.S. government thinks that TikTok poses a national security threat, but TikTok is more regulated and controlled then other social media platforms. The TikTok community is a place where people can find content and relate to each other.  Some people think the TikTok ban could be positive because it could increase productivity levels, but in reality, if TikTok was banned, something else would take its place.

The decision by Congress to ban TikTok comes from concerns over national security and data privacy. Congress is worried that the company ByteDance (which owns TikTok), is collecting personal information with its users and sharing it with the Chinese government. Additionally, there are fears that TikTok could be used as a tool for spreading propaganda or disinformation. These concerns have swayed Congress to propose legislation to ban the app in the United States. 

The U.S. is facing countless other problems, other than TikTok and other social media. TikTok should not be the priority of the government right now when there are so many other issues and problems that need to be dealt with. Jadyn Hunter said, “ There are more important issues that Congress should be focusing on especially when there are things like gun violence and economic issues. TikTok is not a danger to society as much as other issues.” 

One reason for the ban of TikTok is because productivity levels may be increased. However, TikTok is not the only platform that people use. On average U.S. adults 18 to 24 will average 28 minutes per day on Snapchat and 33 minutes per day on Instagram. Lauren Hunter said,  “TikTok might lower  productivity but so do other social media platforms. If Congress bans one platform will they ban all of the others? TikTok is a place where people go to learn about pop culture and find a sense of belonging in their community.” It’s unfair that congress would ban TikTok when there have been no real issues with the app. 

The government should not be focusing on TikTok when there are so many other issues in the United States. TikTok is a community and is one of the most regulated social media platforms in the U.S.