The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Freezing in P.E.

Junior Aidan Arrasate freezing outside for P.E. class

December brings many joyous things for WHBHS students, but gym class isn’t one of them for many. Students have been complaining about going outside for gym in freezing temperatures, but the cold has nothing on the gym teachers, who say simply, “Too bad.”

No law exists for when to keep students inside for gym based on the weather. According to USA Today, “There is no national temperature standard to keep kids inside during the winter months. The U.S. The Department of Education says that the decision should be made by the principal of the school.”

So, with no law stating they can’t, the WHB physical ed teachers still require students to go outdoors for phys ed in colder months. They suggest students “wear a coat and toughen up.”

With a big, warm, empty gym, a majority of students want to know the reason why they are being sent outside to the cold. Mr. Hoyt states, “Some classes, there are 90 kids and we only have one gym. Outside it is bigger.”

Senior Charlotte Dermody has a strong opinion on this topic. She said, “It’s unfair because some kids don’t like to bring jackets for numerous reasons and then are being forced to freeze outside.”

She continued, “We only have so many months that we CAN go outside,” so why not use the available gym space while we can?

Although going outside may just be something WHB students need to realize is a part of their lives here, there are alternatives we wish the physical education teachers would consider, like using the Wellness Center space or the weight room for training. Other options are student-lead classes or Just Dance/Wii. These alternatives are activities that students could take to their everyday lives after high school. For now, invest in a coat and keep smiling WHB.

Nikki Lee