Fall Fun for All

Morgan Laube, Staff Writer

Whether it’s pumpkin picking, putting yourself into a sugar coma or cuddling up in blankets and watching scary movies, fall never disappoints to keep us busy.

Although summer is over, there are still many things to do and places to go, especially on the North Fork. Pumpkin picking is great for the fall season. Farms like Harbes, Stakey’s and Fink’s don’t just have U-pick pumpkins, they also have activities to do. Harbes farm offers hayrides, corn mazes and farm animals you can feed and hangout with after a long day of picking pumpkins. Their hours are 9-6 and are open all week at their two locations in Mattituck and Jamesport.

If you’re looking for fun on a budget, Stakey’s Farm in Aquebogue is a great place to go and spend time with your family. Open from 12-5 during the week and 9-5 on weekends, they have a corn maze, hayrides and offer all you can carry pumpkins for $30.

Have you ever wanted to sling shot a pumpkin or ride a pony? If you answered yes to either part of that question than Fink’s Country Farm in Wading River is a great place to go and spend your weekend. They have pony rides, children activities, an animal farm and U-pick pumpkins. They are only open on weekends from 9-6.

Fall also brings traditions in many families. Sophomore Sheena Dellapace said is her fall tradition is “pumpkin picking and eating corn at Harbes Farm with my family.” Although pumpkin picking is the most popular fall tradition there are also some personal traditions students have. Other sophomore, Taylor Eskesen said “Every year I go to my aunt’s house and have a huge family dinner. It’s a lot of fun and I get to see my family who I don’t get to see that often.”

Running out of things to do during this eventful season is very uncommon, but in the case of this happening baking is always a great solution. Even though candy is a definite go to during October, pie is also a good option. Especially pumpkin pie, during the holiday season you can find “pumpkin spiced” everything.

Here are the ingredients to a delicious Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie Recipe ingredients:
2 eggs plus the yolk of a third egg
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
2 cups of pumpkin pulp purée from a sugar pumpkin* or from canned pumpkin purée (can also use puréed cooked butternut squash)
1 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
1 good crust