Little Fish In a Big Pond

Jemma Spitaleri, Staff Writer

The freshman class of 2020 is not only filled with students from Westhampton Beach Middle School, but East Moriches as well. The “scary” transition from a very small school to a huge high school turns out to be not as bad as most students expect.

“It was big at first then it got easy to adapt to,” said Antonia “Toni” Cashman, freshman. Making friends around the school, whether doing a sport or a club can help with this “big change.”  Getting around and trying to get to class can be a hassle, as an 8th grader in middle school, the classes are smaller because the school is smaller and so is the work.

In high school some classes are harder than others, like AP world or AP biology. Toni agreed, saying, “My regular classes are fine but AP Biology is harder and I’m staying up later for the work.”

Growing up in a school that doesn’t typically use laptops was a huge change. When receiving a laptop most of the freshman were ecstatic. “I was really excited it was like the first part of high school,” says Madison Degroot. Most of the work is done by typing, but some students prefer to write on paper. Toni, who had a different use of the laptop said, “The transition was hard; I still am not able to do it so I write all my notes down.”

Moving from a little pond to a big pond can have a rough start, but it is all what you make it. Class of 2020, be proud to be a Hurricane.