The Heart of WHBHS: Coach Ron Gholson

The Heart of WHBHS: Coach Ron Gholson

Reily MacDonald, Staff Writer

Security guard and boys basketball coach Ron Gholson has devoted himself to WHBHS for 20 years. A father and role model for the kids of this school, his knowledge and wisdom is something we treasure. He keeps trouble out of the hallways and keeps food on the table for his family. As a coach, his players think of him as a father. As a security guard, people think of him as someone to go to for advice. Ron Gholson is the heart and soul of the high school.

Even though he seems like an open book who is free to giving advice, there are still things many people don’t know about him. Born in the south Bronx, Coach Gholson was put into foster care at a very young age. His experience being a foster child was incredible.  He shared, “It was life changing. Where would I be if I had stayed in the Bronx?”

His mom and father who raised Coach and his brother were hard working.  He says how he coaches the game of basketball has a lot to do with his upbringing as a child. He believes that one should always give 110% with no excuses.

Sophomore Jason Suy described coach Gholson as, “A guardian.” Suy said, “I look at him as a great person and a father figure because he protects us and our school we so deeply care for.” He has developed a deep respect for Coach Ron Gholson in just two years.

Coach is easily one of the nicest and most respected people in the school.  His knowledge, both for the game of basketball and life, as well as the love he holds for the school and for the students and faculty inside of it, the makes him the heart of the school and it’s a pleasure to know him.