Glowing Deer?

Picture taken from Google Images.

Picture taken from Google Images.

Kelsey Jordan, Staff Writer

In Finland the Finland Reindeer Herder’s association is trying out a new fluorescent paint spray for deer’s antlers so they can avoid accidents. The spray was invented to create safety between deer and cars.

The non-harmful spray is predicted to bloom and become popular in areas such as Finland. According to the National Highway traffic safety Administration, there are about 1 million car accidents involving deer each year that kill 200 Americans, cause more than 10,000 personal injuries and result in $1 billion in vehicle damage.

Laurence Barr-Forget, a sophomore at Westhampton Beach High School says when asked how he feels about this product, “ I feel that it’s a good idea if the chemicals are environmentally safe and won’t cause harm to the animals if they do cause harm I think that they should improve the product and make it safe but overall I think that it is a good idea.” Barr-Forget’s view on this product is “ I can see this product rapidly becoming popular but I would not want to spray the deer myself.”  Luckily you won’t need to worry about spraying the deer yourself, the association will do it themselves.

Garrett Battenberg, a junior at Westhampton Beach High School feels that the new product will be useless and not really have a powerful impact saying, “I feel that the cars would still hit the deer because the deer will still run across the street so fast and you won’t have enough time to stop.”

As many as 4,000 reindeer die in traffic accidents every year in Finland, most incidents occur in the icy dark months of November and December. Each year the number of deer that either die or get injured increase and this could result in a big problem because if deer get endangered it will result in a chain reaction and effect the other species in the area. To preserve the safety of both people and deer the Finland Reindeer Herder association are crossing their fingers and hoping that this new spray comes in effect and has a positive impact on many.