The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

WHB Athletes Honored

Julia Stabile (Left) Matilda Buchen (Right)

Fall 2023 was a big season for our WHB athletes as many were recognized for their accomplishments and skills. Every year Newsday releases a list of the top athletes in each sport for Suffolk County, Nassau County, and Long Island as a whole.

In total, 12 athletes from WHB were recognized for their great play in each of their respective sports during the fall season.

Football players Will Gambino, Andrew Mensch, and Brody Schaffer; Cross Country runners Lily Strebel and Trevor Hayes; Volleyball players Will Jankowski, Alec Kelly, Casey Sidor, and Seth Terry; Tennis players Matilda Buchen and Julia Stabile; and Soccer player Sarah Gormley all made the list.

Standout athlete Brody Schaffer, is a junior on the football team. Being named a top 100 football player on Long Island “Holds me to a certain standard and keeps me motivated to be right back on the list next year,” he said.

Last season, Schaffer had 538 rushing yards and 8 touchdowns while also being named as Newsday’s All Long Island 2nd team kicker. This was all done in his sophomore year of high school which is a tremendous accomplishment. Schaffer is currently leading his team deep into the playoffs as they face East Islip in the Suffolk County Semi-Final on November 10th. 

Julia Stabile, a senior State Champion on the girls tennis team reflected on being named top 30 on Long Island. Stabile said, “I’m super honored to be ranked top 30. My doubles partner Matilda and I, we work super hard during the winter season and throughout the summer together.”

Over her high school career Stabile is a two-time Suffolk County Doubles Champion and a three-time All State player. Also, Stabile led her team to the Suffolk County Team Championship where they lost in a close 4-3 match to Half Hollow Hills East.

Follow along on @westhamptonfootball and @hurricane-football-club on Instagram as they continue their playoff run.