Hurricane Watch Wins Big at BASH

Periods 6+7 Broadcast at BASH Awards

Shannon Sweet, Staff Writer

The WHB Broadcast classes won four awards at this year’s BASH Awards at Hofstra University. 

The BASH Awards is a ceremony to celebrate Broadcast classes and give out awards in different categories. Many schools attend the ceremony in hopes of bringing back some awards for what they’ve produced in broadcast throughout the year. 

This year the WHB Hurricane Watch won first place for “Best Broadcast,” second place in Newsday’s “Best Local Multimedia Reporting” category, and third place in both the ABC7 Gil Noble Community Award and the “Best Feature Package” category. 

Prior to the awards ceremony, no teachers or students knew if their class would be winning any awards. WHB Broadcast teacher, Mrs. Mett says,“It’s always nerve-wracking… with over 40 schools attending, I told the students to have high hopes but low expectations so they aren’t disappointed.”

From winning awards to even being able to get on stage, the event was definitely an exciting day for all the students and teachers there.  Senior broadcast student, Bella Blanco says, “The major highlight of the event was obviously winning Top Broadcast, but it was also really entertaining seeing my fellow classmates, Avery Merrihew and Bea O’Connor, get on stage to teach other high school broadcast students about interviewing.” 

It is safe to say that the BASH Awards were a success this year for WHB. Good luck next year, Hurricane Watch!