WHB Varsity Golf Swinging into Postseason

Avery Merrihew, Staff Writer

The Westhampton Beach boys varsity golf team is back and better than ever.  The team has come with authority in this fall season.

After a poor finish to last year’s season, the Hurricanes varsity golf team came to play this year. A huge win at the Sebonack tournament led by freshman Harry Maloney and eighth grader Zach Berger continued the Hurricanes winning streak at the tournament, giving the Canes the win for the fourth year in a row.

Harry and Zach not only won the tournament to continue Westhampton Beach’s streak, but the boys are officially the youngest pair to do it. 

When asked about his feeling on the win, and what it means to him, Harry said, “Feeling great about it. We went out there and got the job done. Definitely happy to represent the varsity golf team, and WHB as a whole.”

With the team’s 7-3 finish, they are getting excited moving into the postseason. Every guy on the varsity squad was invited to qualifiers for counties on Monday, they are hoping to really shine and make the cut. Senior, Daniel Naglieri says, “Lots of talent, should  be a great postseason. We were off to a hot start, but after a tough loss at home to East Hampton and a loss away at Southampton, we weren’t feeling too good but still managed to finish the season 7-3 headed to the conference tournament.”

The golf team also had their annual JV/Varsity scramble match. This match features groups of four players, two JV, two varsity, and the group tries to shoot as low as they can together. This year’s JV/varsity scramble match had some trouble making full teams of four so this year’s match consisted of two teams of three players, and three groups of four players. My (Avery Merrihew) three man squad came in third place at one under par, followed by Danny Naglieri’s squad of four coming in at two under par. The first place finish went to Harry Maloney’s four man squad at three under par. 

We’ve got some great talent on the team, and we’re only getting better. Be ready to hear more about the Westhampton Beach boys varsity golf team for a long time.