Wagner Kicks His Way to Gettysburg College

Ben Osborne, Staff Writer

The 2016 Hurricane football team depended on senior captain Ryan Wagner to kick them the extra point during their successful season. Kicking a field goal is kind of like church, many will attend but few will understand. To Wagner it comes natural.

Wagner started kicking when he was a freshman with no kicking experience. He wasn’t a soccer player, so he had to work harder than others. Football coach James Kinder inspired him to kick. “He kind of just made me do it, and I liked it.”

Half way through his sophomore year when he got a private kicking coach, he realized that he wanted to become a college kicker and hopefully a professional kicker. Wagner will be attending Gettysburg College. He said, “I chose Gettysburg College because the coaching staff was great. I had a great official visit, and I could tell there was a winning culture there.”   Last year the Bullets were 7-3.

Wagner will be majoring in both Engineering and Biology. Not only does Wagner play football he also is a big fan of the NFL where he hopes to be in the future. His favorite team is the Philadelphia Eagles but he says he would like to play for the Denver Broncos because of the high altitude during their home games.

Ryan describes himself as, “Passionate.”  He continued, “I love everything I do, and I always give all my effort towards the things I do.”

Senior quarterback Tristan Hogan, who was one of this year’s captains with Wagner, said, “Wagner is a handsome guy physically and also emotionally.”

Hogan said, “My favorite quote of Ryan would have to be when he says, ‘member’ instead of ‘remember.’”