NCAA Woman’s Lacrosse Tournament Featuring WHBHS Alumni

Chloe Mosher, Staff Writer

The NCAA Women’s Lacrosse playoffs are happening right now, and Westhampton Beach High School has a number of alumni from all three divisions competing for a championship. James Madison freshman Olivia Rongo and West Chester freshman Madison Mosher shared their playoff experiences. 

The Elite Eight Division I teams play their next games on May 18th, hoping to advance to the Final Four. After defeating Maryland 15-14 in a suspenseful game on Sunday, the James Madison Dukes moved forward in the tournament. WHBHS alumni and JMU freshman midfielder Olivia Rongo says, “We have something special this year that not many of the other teams have and we couldn’t be more excited to show everyone else what we already know.” 

Rongo continued, “The most exciting aspect is being a part of the tournament that you grew up watching, and finally knowing what it’s like to do more than just watch it.”

James Madison’s next game is at 12pm on May 18th against Syracuse. 

The Division II teams are down to the Final Four, including the West Chester Rams. The Rams are undefeated, PSAC conference champions, and Atlantic Regional champions. WHBHS alumni and WCU freshman midfielder Madison Mosher suffered an ACL tear earlier in the season, and said, “It was disappointing not being able to run onto the field when we won our conference championship, but everyone ran to me and my three other teammates who have ACL injuries.” 

Mosher added, “As of right now we are the only team in all of Division II who is still undefeated. We have worked really hard this year and want to go all the way.” 

This past November, former player for the Rams who graduated last spring, Julia Rossi, suddenly passed away. The team dedicated this season to her, wearing her number #25 on their warmup shirts, hanging it in the locker room, and on the field, as well as two captains wearing her jersey for games, and a weekly stand out player wearing her practice pinnie. Last Sunday the team won their 25th PSAC championship, a sign of #25 Rossi. Mosher says, “Rossi was on the last team who made it to the national championship in 2019, and this year we hope to make it back there for her”. 

They take on Grand Valley State on Friday for a spot in the Championship.

The Division I National Championship takes place on May 28th at 12pm, and the Division II Championship takes place on May 21st at 2pm. We wish Olivia, Madison, and all of the other Westhampton Beach High School Alumni in the tournament good luck!