Canes Girls Soccer Showing Improvement

Girls Varsity Soccer team supporting Dezy Strong Foundation at their kicks for cancer game

Sarah Gormley, Staff Writer

The Hurricane girls varsity soccer team, under Coach Habersaat, continues to improve this season with only a handful of returning players. Currently 5-8, the team has a much better record than last year’s season. 

After the 2020-21 season the team graduated 11 seniors leaving a big gap to fill in the lineup. This year they welcomed 14 new varsity players to the roster. In the starting lineup only five of 11 are returners, with seven starters being underclassmen. 

The young team has a huge potential for growth. Coach Habersaat said, “Returners like Trinity Valenzuela, Amanda Shannon, Sarah Gormley, Olivia Rongo and Mia Valenzuela have stepped up as leaders who have varsity experience.  We also brought in a strong freshmen class who will only continue to improve.” 

Last season the team went 2-10 and struggled to win any games.  This year we have the opportunity to play teams ranked both above and below us,” Coach Habs said, “Giving us a chance to play those tough opponents but also get some relief and games where we can really work on our play.” 

This is senior co-captain Trinity Valenzuela’s fifth and final year on the team. Trinity has been a huge impact player since joining the team in eighth grade. Currently, Trin is on the top of the team’s points chart with six goals and three assists. “This year is different because I’m a senior and it’s my last year. I remember when I first joined I was known as the baby of the team and I looked up to all the seniors. Now I’m the role model and the other players look up to me.”

Freshman Mia Valenzuela is playing her second year with her older sister. Trinity said, “It’s awesome playing on the same team as my sister. We have a really good relationship so we never fight on the field and instead we encourage each other if we make mistakes. There’s also a really fun competitiveness between us.” Mia scored a huge overtime goal securing the win in the Canes game against Mattituck last Thursday.  

Amanda Shannon, co-captain, said, “The team is definitely bonding and starting to get to know each other better. We have a lot of freshmen on the team and at first it was tough to know how everyone played and to work together but as the season goes along I think we are getting a lot better with that.”

As the season wraps up the Canes look towards the future. Coach Habersaat said,Looking beyond this season, there is definitely a solid core of skilled players who will return for the next few years.”