The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

A Good Student’s Guide To Navigating APs

A Good Students Guide To Navigating APs

For students coming into high school, figuring out which APs to take can be difficult. With some guidance, it doesn’t have to be hard. With the help of this article you can get an overview of all the AP classes WHBHS offers, and what those classes entail. 

English 

Westhampton Beach High school offers three English advanced placements classes, AP Language and Composition, AP Literature, and AP seminar. AP Language and Composition focuses on analysis of the basic rhetorical modes, using non-fiction essays from the 18th century to the present. The class only requires the prerequisite of English 10, but your admission to the class is dependent upon previous academic achievement, counselor input, teacher recommendation, and student choice. 

AP literature is once again a one credit class, and the main focus is on the critical analysis of poetry and fiction. Kylie Way, A WHBHS senior, took AP Lang. She says, “The class had a pretty heavy workload but if you want to pursue a career that involves writing or English it is a great class to take. From the class I improved my writing skills, learned how to better manage my time, and how to really analyze a text and better understand the main focus quicker.” 

Although Kylie says that the class did help her in many ways (academically), it also took up a lot of her time whether it be studying or completing homework. Although a lot of work is not everyone’s favorite, Advanced Placement classes give students a great opportunity to expand their knowledge, and test their limits. 

Maggie Gilbride, a junior at WHBHS, took an AP seminar last year. She enjoyed the class, and the group work aspect of the class. When rating the workload she gave it a 6.5/10, “Your workload depends on how productive you were in class. You have a lot of class time to do work, but if you don’t try doing your work you can have at least an hour or two of homework.” Maggie says the class taught her how to write a good paper, how to work efficiently within a group, and the importance of having to work together. Both Kylie and Maggie recommended AP Lang and AP seminar to anyone who wishes to further their knowledge in English and someone willing to dedicate their time to further understand what the classes teach. 

Math 

Westhampton has great options for advanced math students, AP Calculus AB, AP calculus BC, AP statistics, and AP Pre-calc. All of these classes vary in difficulty and workload. AP statistics is one of the easier math classes, with a lighter workload. In order to take this class, Algebra 2 is a prerequisite. Students typically are able to take this class as well as other AP’s with ease. The class summarizes and makes conclusions about data collected by researchers. This class can help students going into many types of careers including economics, engineering, sociology, education and more. 

AP pre-calc is a new AP for the 2023-24 school year. The workload is heavier compared to AP statistics, and algebra 2 is the prerequisite. Typically, the course is taken by juniors. AP-pre calc is for students who are looking for a challenge and gives a great foundation for students also interested in taking Calculus in later school years. The class is a great addition to STEM fields.

In AP pre-calc students take a part of AP calculus AB. Half of the school year goes over the material of the “A” section of the class. AP calculus AB is typically taken by seniors, with a heavier workload and harder material. It is one of the most difficult math classes to take in high school. The class goes over the “B’ part in AP calculus BC. AP calculus BC is the level above AP calculus AB, being the most difficult math class and having a heavier workload. 

Science

Westhampton has a great selection of APs for science, AP environmental science, AP Biography, AP Chemistry, and AP Physics. These classes have different levels of difficulties and are typically taken at different times throughout high school. AP Environmental Science and AP Bio have lighter work loads and are typically taken freshman year. These classes have a lighter workload and less complex material compared to the rest of the AP science classes. AP Chemistry is typically taken sophomore year and is considered a difficult class with a heavier workload. AP Physics is considered one of the most different science classes, having harder material and is quick paced and heaviest workload of them all. 

Social Studies 

WHBHS offers AP United States History, AP Human Geography, AP United States Government, AP Comparative government, and AP World History. Past AP World students took AP World History and really enjoyed the class. They loved how the class taught you a variation of things from all around the world. The workload was not overbearing at all if you completed all your work in class. I had Mr. Rupertus and he was truly an amazing teacher, he was able to indulge all of us, he made class fun while teaching and preparing us for the AP tests. From the class I learned how to write a great DQB and how to contextualize, this helped me to be prepared for APUSH (AP U.S. History) . Mr. Rupertus was able to fully prepare me for the AP tests and for the workload and material included in APUSH. AP Comparative government is a class only for seniors, the admission to the class is dependent upon previous academic achievement. Students seem to really enjoy the class when asked about it, even Mrs. Habberstat said the class has gained popularity over the years. 

Other APs offered

AP Drawing & Painting, AP studio Art (drawing), AP Studio Art (2-D and 3-D design), and AP Psychology are all creative and extra APs offered by the school. Mr. Davis, the AP psychology teacher, described the workload of AP psychology, “Although AP Psychology is an elective it is an AP class and it does require some work outside the classroom.”  The class includes live demonstrations to further indulge students into the material, and is used as a way of highlighting psychological concepts. The biggest takeaway from AP Psychology, according to Mr. Davis, would be that everybody that studies psychology will learn something important not only about other people but also about themselves.                                               

AP Drawing and Painting is for both 11th and 12th graders, and prerequisites are Drawing and Painting I/II and/or a teacher’s approval. 

AP Drawing and Painting is designed to further enrich the learning experiences for juniors that wish to take AP Placement Studio Art in their senior year. This class includes intense drawing and painting studies created from observation, imagination, and emotion. AP Studio Art (2-D and 3-D) Design is an AP art class for students that have a strong interest and talent in the area of design on a two-dimensional surface. In this class students will demonstrate their understanding of the principles of design articulated through the visual element of line, shape, color, value, texture, and shape. The course does require dedication and extra time spent in the studio completing projects. 

Guidance counselor, Ms. Habberstat, college or classes said the most popular AP classes were “AP Language and Composition. It helps with the SATS. Also AP seminars are a good resource, help with writing skills, and are important for the future.” 

AP classes are good for students to get ready for college, they are a good preparation and realization for what a higher education is. each AP class adds .3 onto a student’s average (when weighted). 

“If a student wants multiple APs ,” Ms. Habberstat said it was all about balance. If a student doesn’t know how to manage their time, taking on too many AP classes can overwhelm a student and become a major source of stress in their life. Students that took an AP bring up the topic of time management, saying that they changed their habits and study ways in order to be more productive and maximize their time. These students all balanced sports, a social life, school, and AP classes effectively, all of them paid credit to how they learned to effectively maximize their time, and learn what works for them.