February France Trip

Eiffel+Tower+in+France+

Eiffel Tower in France

Jake Mecca, Staff Writer

Over February break, about 20 foreign language students are excited to be traveling overseas on an educational trip to France. For most of the students it will be their first time they will be able to get a first-hand look at the French culture.

The trip was started by art teacher Mrs. St. John in 2011. Then it was taken over by Mrs. Petroski in 2012. She has been running the trip ever since.

Junior Marley Merrihew is excited for the trip, “I have never been to France. I’m excited to spend February break in France with my friends and I am fascinated by the French history.”

The cost of the trip is $3,500 but the students can get about $1,000 back by helping Mrs. Petroski with fundraising.

On the trip which is from Saturday February 16th to Sunday the 24th. The students and teachers tour around the city of Paris to see the monuments, eat different foods, and admire arts. Mrs. Petroski believes that students that went on the trip in the past have learned a lot about the culture and history of France.

This year the trip has opened to sophomores for the first time ever. Mrs. Petroski said, “Due to the low number of senior and juniors, we opened the trip to sophomores.”

Melanie Meyer is one of the sophomores going on the trip. She said, “I’m excited to see the Eiffel tower. It has always been a dream of mine. I’m also excited for the culture and to experience the French history history.”

The French trip alternates every year with a trip to Spain. Some students go on both trips junior and senior year, and now that is opened to sophomores they are able to go on the trip more than once.

Mrs. Petroski encourages the students to go on these two trips and plans to continue going to Europe for a long time.