Hurricane to a Tiger

Ben Osborne, Staff Writer

A Hurricane to a Tiger. From Green and White, to Orange and Purple. Senior Daniel Purkis chose Clemson University, 837 miles away from home, in his journey to further his education. He’ll be majoring in Engineering while at Clemson a highly regarded school where 24,406 students enrolled in 2016.

We have our own spirit week here at WHBHS, but nothing like Clemson’s homecoming.  Daniel said, “I was looking for a smaller big school with a lot of school spirit.  I could see orange is exactly the school spirit I was looking for.”  Daniel is excited for “Tigerama” – a pride-filled night with friendly games and activities.

Daniel looks forwards to the football games the most. “I’ve heard they are just so different from any other sporting event I’ve ever attended.”  Clemson football was 2016 National Champions, lead by quarterback Deshaun Watson, who was later drafted by the Houston Texans.

Clemson pride is what drew Daniel to the college. “I loved how everyone was wearing Clemson gear and the Clemson tiger paw print was everywhere on campus.”  The history of the colors of Clemson, purple and orange, are from Walter Riggs, who formed Clemson’s first football team in 1896. He came from a college that was later named Auburn. He borrowed their colors, purple and white, and their team mascot, which is still their mascot the tigers.

We wish Daniel the best of luck at Clemson University in the fall.  Despite being so far away, Daniel will always be a Hurricane.