Jack Ryan Running Prodigy

Jack Ryan running the mile.

Jack Ryan running the mile.

Khai Henderson, Staff Writer

Westhampton Beach is a home to extremely talented athletes. One of three team captains from the WHB Track & Field team has had nothing but success with running ever since 7th grade. Jack Ryan is known as a running prodigy and a force to be reckoned with across the island.

Being a runner requires dedication and countless effort. You can’t wake up one day and be an amazing football player and it’s the same for running.  Many athletes have rituals or traditions the day before a meet which always seem to make them compete better with the extra boost of luck. “The night before I put on headphones for 30 minutes and I lay on a bed of nails, I then take an ice bath from the waist down, I sleep in my uniform and pray to the Lord about the race. The morning of I eat 3 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, 2 cliff bars and a smoothie,” says by 11th grader Jack Ryan.

Running isn’t a contact sport, but that doesn’t mean an athlete can’t have a plan in their head. In distance running there is a lot of time before the runner reaches the finish line that requires them to pace themselves and know who they will keep up with during the race. The strategy is to keep up with someone on the same level. Jack Ryan has his own strategy during races for his opponents. “I like to get into peoples’ heads and I talk to them before the race and act fake and friendly towards them and then I throw them off their game, I’ll either stay on pace with them them and wait until the end or I’ll go out hard and scare them” stated by Ryan.

Being a consistent and strong athlete requires a lot of training and practice, but doesn’t leave much free time.  During Ryan’s free time he enjoys a good book, a fun game of basketball with his friends on a nice day, and of course getting in a nice run when he can. “ Jack is a great guy, he always makes my day and he is one of the greatest runners ever,” said by 11th grader Bridget Sullivan

This year Ryan is working with a new coach, Cody Hoyt. As an athlete many people usually feel different or awkward when they get introduced to a new head figure, but Ryan thinks differently. “Hoyt has definitely put in a lot of work by doing the right stuff, as much as I miss going with Coach Ford it will definitely be nice to have a change of perspective to go with a different type of coach,” Ryan states.

December 26th the Boys and Girls Track Team will be attending a meet at the NYC Armory, this year the team not only has a new coach, but they also have a lot of new faces and some veterans. “I think the guys on the team are young and inexperienced and they haven’t been running awhile but I think they will do well, the meets at the Armory are filled with the elites, I think Khai Henderson will stand out at the armory with his excellent 300 time, I also think sophomore Nery Luna will have a big season along with freshman Juan Lasso & freshman Reily Macdonald” Ryan states.

Ryan has been running since 7th grade, he came from the East Moriches Eagles Cross Country team, to one of three team captains for the Hurricanes. With all of this success you wonder who Ryan attributes it to.  He says “I would like to credit all my success to God, and I hope he gives me the strength to succeed at the county championships this year and win the mile.”