Follow Dreams

Ms. Wheeler, an English teacher at WHB High School

Ryan Misiewicz, Staff Writer

Most people are likely scared and intimidated to go after something, for a wide array of reasons. Trying a new thing can just be scary and that’s why you wouldn’t want to do them, or maybe you ’re worried your friends won’t think it’s cool. Ms. Wheeler went through a situation like this in high school. Ms. Wheeler says her biggest regret was “not doing theater in high school. I was too shy.” She says her biggest weakness is that “sometimes I’m too afraid to try new things.” This contributed to her not doing theater. What stood out to her about theater was that her school had a good theater department, and that everyone looked like they had fun together. When asked why she didn’t end up pursuing theater, she said, “My friends at the time thought theater wasn’t cool.” She never told anyone in her family or any of her friends that she had thought about joining.

Trying new things in general is a tough ordeal because it takes a person out of their comfort zone. When asked why trying new things is scary to her, Ms. Wheeler said, “I’m a reasonable person and often think of a million reasons not to do something instead of going with my gut and trying something new.” Like a lot of things over time people adjust and correct their weaknesses. Ms. Wheeler said she’s gotten better with trying new things, because “The people closest to me now are accepting and understanding, and allow me to be myself. They support me trying new things.” Having a good support system, like your family, or a really supportive group of friends is very helpful in terms of embracing something new and taking on new, and sometimes scary things.

Remember, although trying new things can be intimidating, a person very well could find it worth it, because something great can come out of it. No matter what anyone says a person should always follow their dreams, because they are their own person. Ms. Wheeler says, “Try new things as long as it’s something you want to do. Don’t be afraid of what others may think, even your closest friends.” That’s a great perspective on what to think of next time someone is close to letting people influence a decision even though he or she really want to pursue something.

Always remember that a person is an individual and making decisions should just be something you do, because at the end of the day the decision is for a person and their future or well-being. With trying new things, be open to change as long as it isn’t something risky or that could hurt a person. Something that can be enjoyable may be discovered, that a person didn’t think they’d like in a million years.