Girls Lax PAL Day!

Reese King, Staff Writer

Girls lacrosse recently had a PAL day! The varsity lacrosse team consists of girls who played PAL together for years and now play on the varsity field together.  With the current PAL girls watching from the stands, it has come full circle! 

Many activities and celebrations took place on this special day, May 1st. WHB played Comsewogue and came out on top with a great team win, 8-4. Ava Derby, Reilly Mahon, and Reese King all added two goals in the win. Brie Provenzano and Peyton Worby each added their own goal. Sophomore goalkeeper Maya Farnan made eight saves. 

After the game, the PAL girls had the opportunity to get signed lacrosse balls and take pictures with the varsity girls and talk to them. The PAL girls each were assigned a varsity player to make a poster for, and the fence was lined with these posters. There was also a “chalk walk” on the sidewalk!

Coach Montpetit coaches the girls JV lacrosse team and is the co-director for the Westhampton girls youth lacrosse this season. He also has been coaching youth lacrosse for five years and has two daughters of his own. 

Coach said, “The little girls love PAL day because they get to see the older girls in action. They also love to bond with their teammates and spend time together outside of their practices!” Montpetit also feels that “PAL day unites the whole program. The little girls idolize the high school players and dream of playing on the turf field as a Hurricane.” 

As a parent, he says that he loves to see his “own kids gravitate towards the high schoolers as role models who are active and making good decisions. PAL connects them even more because it gives a face to a name and gives them someone to root for!” 

Maya Farnan feels the same way about PAL day. Her favorite part is “seeing the big smiles on the girl’s faces.” She loves how it “brings the lacrosse community together, especially the ones that will be future varsity players.” Maya remembers being those little girls, and “learning so much from them and looking up to them as idols.”

Follow @whbeachlax on Instagram for updates on the team and pictures from this special day.