100 Points for King

Reese King hitting 100 points

Lily Graves, Staff Writer

Westhampton Beach sophomore Reese King has just hit 100 points in her three year varsity career. Reese started playing lacrosse in kindergarten and has been a star since. She is a huge contributor to the varsity team and has many impressive stats. 

As just an eighth grader, King started on attack. She had a total of 23 points, 17 goals and 6 assists. When talking about being pulled up, Reese said, “Being an underclassmen, on a team with girls committed to play in college was very intimidating. Especially playing against the same level girls on the other teams.” This had no effect on her as she continued to progress in the next years. 

The following year, Reese became a starting midfielder. Her stats increased tremendously as she finished the season with 42 goals and 9 assists. This sophomore year, as a starting midfielder again, Reese had 36 and 9 for a total of 45 during the regular season.

Then, on April 27th 2023, Reese hit 100 career points during the team’s game against Harborfields. After hitting this great checkpoint, Reese stated, “While it feels great, It is only a small checkpoint. I am looking to only move forward from here. All of my hard work has paid off.” 

Freshman Ava Derby, who has played with Reese for two years, said, “She always finds a way to make herself open and score big goals.” 

As the varsity team enters playoffs, Reese said, “This season I am hoping to end on a high note, and go as far as we can. Throughout the rest of my career, personally, I want to improve my own game and help lead my team to success.”