Catching up with the Lady Canes

The Lady Hurricanes after winning a recent tournament.

Hannah Donneson, Staff Writer

Coming off of one of their most successful season in years, the Lady Hurricanes Basketball team is off another terrific start. With a start to the season 2-0 (as of press time), the Lady Canes hope to keep the record up.

Last year was the first year in a long time the team made it to the playoffs, with having a league record of 7-5 (11-7 overall). Losing some key players was a rough spot, but they are overcoming the struggles.  According to Coach Peters, the Lady Canes need to work on protecting the ball, making smarter passes, and bringing more energy to practice.  Almost an all new team, she said they need to work on “developing a gel on the court, knowing how each teammate on the court moves and plays to get better timing down on cuts.”

Harborfields will be the toughest competition for the Lady Canes this season.  However, Sayville, Miller Place and Comsewogue will also be “tough games for us.”

Coach Peters is in her second year as head coach.  Her favorite part about coaching is “seeing the progress and the way the team works towards a common goal and improves their ability to work together on the court.”

Second year starter Lindsay Rongo is very excited for this season. She loves being part of a team, having fun, and making memories.  Now a sophomore, Rongo was voted League V Rookie of the Year last year, and she hopes to win another post season award this year.

All of us here at The Hurricane Eye  wish the Lady Canes the best of luck this season. Catch their next home games on December 6th at 4pm against ESM, and on December 8th at 5:45pm against Bellport.