Senior Scholarship Success

WHB seniors receiving scholarships

Kaylee Dalian, Staff Writer

Westhampton Beach seniors have achieved greatness within these past four years which led to the acquisition of various scholarships on May 25th. These scholarships varied in cost and reason of achievement. The overall theme of the scholarships was compassion. Every student who was awarded a scholarship showed some kind of compassion towards others.

According to educationdata.org, “The average cost of college* in the United States it is $35,551 per student per year, including books, supplies, and daily living expenses.” College causes a significant dent in the finances of students and/or their families. This is why scholarships are important and helpful.

Senior Morgan Donahoe, who was one of the senior’s who received the most scholarships, said, ““I feel so so grateful and excited.”

Of these scholarships, one in particular that Morgan received was the Hurricane Foundation Scholarship. This is awarded to a senior who shows community/school service, maximizes potential academically, has good morals, sensitivity and compassion.

“I am really thankful for the Hurricane Foundation scholarship. I felt as if my interview wasn’t my best work and was so genuinely shocked that I won. I’m so grateful that they saw through my bad interview day into my real self and I’ve accomplished,” Morgan said.

Although most of the scholarships have been given out in the past, there were a few exceptions such as the Robert Long scholarship and the Tia Beth scholarship. The Robert Long scholarship was made to honor East Quogue’s Elementary School principal who passed away last summer. The Tia Beth scholarship was to honor Tia Beth, an outstanding soul who gave her all into the community and devastatingly passed away a few months ago.

Senior Scholarship night was a successful and generous night.  Congrats to all the winners.