Dr. Probst Returns as Superintendent

Dr. Probst Returns as Superintendent

Kevin Deshler, Staff Writer

The Westhampton Beach School District has a new superintendent, Dr. Carolyn Probst, who was a former guidance counselor and assistant principal at the district. 

After a five month extensive search by the school board, Dr. Probst was hired after working at the Hauppauge School District for four years as Assistant to the Superintendent of Educational Services. 

I interviewed Dr. Probst via email about her experience returning to the district and what her plans are. Dr. Probst says that the best part of returning to Westhampton Beach as Superintendent has been the welcome she has received. “From staff I knew well to those I had never met before, to students, parents, and community members, I have experienced a truly genuine and incredible welcome. I felt at home from the minute I got back.” 

For the future of the district, she said, “I’m a firm believer that you don’t have to be bad to get better. The Westhampton Beach School District is already amazing, but we are going to work to be even more amazing in terms of what we provide to students while they attend and in what students are prepared to do when they leave us after graduation.”

Dr. Probst hopes WHB students know that her door is always open.“We are doing everything we can to make this year as close to normal as possible. Field trips, athletics, clubs, and musical performances are so important and we don’t want anyone to miss out on those experiences this year. I’d also like students to know that I love talking to students and they should absolutely approach me with questions, concerns, suggestions, or comments.”

Dr. Probst graduated from the Peabody School of Education at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee with a doctoral degree in K-12 Educational Leadership and Policy.

Open Office Hours are available for the community to meet with Dr. Probst about their experiences with the district or share ideas or ask questions.  The dates are Tuesday, November 9th, 1-3 and Wednesday, November 7th, 5-7pm.  RSVP by calling 631-288-2800 ext 241.