Summer Is Looking A Little Different This Year

Ciara Byrne, Staff Writer, Staff Writer

Summer 2020 is just around the corner and the people on Long Island are concerned about not having their classic “Long Island summer.” Here’s what is to come and here is what people are talking about.

When it comes to summer, the Hamptons is the place to be.  From Dune Road to the newly paved streets of Westhampton Beach village.The Hamptons is where everyone comes to get a bacon egg and cheese sandwich and tan at Rogers Beach.

When not at Rogers Beach many people like to stroll around the village of Westhampton Beach. One store you can stop in is Island Surf. Island Surf is a local business that has been open for 22 years in WHB. The owner, Shawn Mett, found increasing his social media presence and expanding his online presence helped keep business alive during the quarantine. Now that everything is opening up he said that the store is open everyday and to come shop, just please wear a mask. He added, “Support local businesses, especially our friends on Main Street. They have been hit hard with the construction and then the shutdown.” 

Sophomores Bella Beck, Jessie Dunn, and Madison Quinn give their take on what’s been happening the past few months and what is going to happen next. 

Incoming junior Bella Beck said, “The restrictions are very upsetting.  It is our summer before junior year and we may not be able to do many of the things we usually would like to do, like go to the beach all the time, go out to eat and get our permits and licenses.”  This is the year many juniors are driving and preparing for the hardest academic year of their high school careers. 

Incoming junior Jessie Dunn feels quarantine is quite beneficial. She said, “It’s frustrating but there are some benefits to it, like a lot of free time to focus on other things.” Jessie just hopes things can return back to normal eventually for the summer and the school year. 

Sophomore Madison Quinn said, “I’m disappointed about the new restrictions for the summer. I love to shop and go out to eat so I’m sad those aren’t really possible yet.”  Now that most stores are starting to open up, things are starting to feel closer to normal. Madison added, “Covid-19 has made me appreciate everything in my life so much more, and I can’t wait until everything is back to normal.”

Everyone wants things to go back to the way they were in the Westhampton Beach community. But sooner or later we are going to have to get used to the new normal. Restaurants are allowed outdoor dining as of now and allowed 25% capacity. Beaches are only allowed to return back to 50% capacity. With the four phases in place we are currently in phase two out of four. Schools will not be opened until phase four. That also goes for movie theaters.

So things to look out for this summer are going to be drive-in movies, lots of ice cream, and a whole lot of mask tan lines.