The Walk to a New Life

Sal Donofrio, Student Editor, Staff Writer

Thousands of migrants have traveled from their homes in Central America and entered southern Mexico through legal and illegal means. Those that have made it through have begun marching towards the US southern border, hoping to seek asylum.

However, President Trump has no plans to allow them to enter the country. He has declared the caravan a national emergency, vowing to mobilize the military to bar their entry.

Additionally, he has claimed that the caravan contains rapists and murderers as well as terrorists from the Middle East. These claims have so far proven false, but has not deterred others from speculating that the caravans are paid by leftist philanthropists such as George Soros.

The mobilization of military units inside the United States is prohibited by the Constitution. Despite this, the President has deployed troops to the Mexican border. Regardless of the threats by President Trump, as well as ordering the soldiers to treat the rocks thrown by asylum seekers as firearms, the caravan refuses to stop.

As of November 6th, the caravan has stopped in Mexico City to rest for food, water and legal help before continuing their trek to the southern border. Along with the midterm elections in the United States, the Republican party has lost its majority in the house of representatives, allowing the more immigrant friendly Democratic party to take control.

Regardless of the changes in politics, the threats and the deployment of the military, the caravan will still attempt to reach the US for a better life despite all the dangers and others that have tried to stop them.