The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Raquel Shemet, Hurricane To Lion

Raquel Shemet, a 2023 graduate, just finished her first year at Penn State. Majoring in business administration, Raquel shared what life is like outside of WHB and on a college campus.

Diving into the aspect of her major, Shemet explains that Business Advisory is the first step when learning the basics of business. Stating that the course provided her the learning opportunity to study how deals and decisions are made throughout business. 

In order to balance her academic life with her social life, Shemet has two important strategies – organization and time managment. She says that staying on top of her work and submitting assignments on time makes it easier for her to attend social activities without stressing over school. Shemet states “Having all of my work in neat folders makes me able to focus easier and stress less.” She also added that incoming freshmen should set themselves up for success, and prioritize the learning aspect of college. 

Shemet is very grateful for her opportunity to attend Penn State University. “The school is very big and has many people. The school gives all the students a chance to excel, and at the same time everyone at Penn is super friendly. The community is like one big family, always having each other’s best interest at heart.”

No longer living in New York, Shemet explains that the change has a weird, but adapting feeling. Not living 15 minutes from the beach was one of the more drastic changes in her opinion. But, when she comes home from college, the weird feeling comes back around since she is now used to the college atmosphere, and walking everywhere instead of driving.

Shemet copes with being homesick by always facetiming and texting her close friends and family members. “Having someone to talk to will really help with your mental health if you are missing your loved ones.”

After Shemet graduates from the business program at Penn State, she hopes to live in New York CIty, eventually owning her own clothing business. Before that dream takes off, she wants to work a corporate job to help her financially. 

Even when she leaves Westhampton for the big city, she will still always be a Hurricane at heart.