The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

Donahue Double Trouble

Twins Brooke and Ben Donahue are off to introduce some WHB spirit next year to St. Joseph’s University, for the same major (child education) and committing respectively to the women’s and men’s Division III volleyball teams.

St. Joseph’s University, located in Patchogue, New York is a private university with state of the art facilities. Not only do the sports teams go far in NCAA tournaments, their players are also amazing students! The Donahues will be a great addition to their respective teams, since 62 of the Golden Eagles from seven teams made the honor roll and three were named Scholar-Athlete of the year. 

We caught up with the twins, Brooke and Ben, to see what their plans are, and what they will miss about WHB.  Brooke admires St. Joseph’s,  “organization and establishment,” while Ben decided because, “St. Joe’s has a very good program for an education major.” SJU has a strong education program with endless opportunities.  

As NCAA volleyball is much more competitive than high school volleyball, both twins are preparing for the upcoming season this fall. Brooke is preparing by, “[playing in] Grass and beach volleyball tournaments, weight training, as well as team bonding,” and Ben answered, “I’m currently hitting weights, and playing beach volleyball.”

Although the twins are close, they do experience a humorous sibling rivalry. Brooke describes their disagreements as, “I would say how I am older, since it is the only thing I can hold over him because he is taller than me,” while Ben simply confirmed their competitiveness. 

As the end of the year comes closer, and graduation looming, both of the twins are sentimental about their time at WHB. Brooke said, “I will definitely miss my friends and my mom,” whilst Ben said, “Knowing most of the people in my class and my friends.” 

Looking to future goals and plans, Brooke and Ben want to accomplish a lot in the next four years of their lives. Brooke said, “I want to maintain at least a 3.8 GPA and win an NCAA Championship.” Ben replied, “I want the other team to say ‘middle prime’ while I’m on the court.” 

Congratulations to Brooke and Ben Donahue on their commitment to St. Joseph’s University. We wish you the best of luck on all your future endeavors!