The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

The Hurricane Eye

More Than Just a Number

Kevin+Smith%2C+Connor+Rodgers+
Kevin Smith, Connor Rodgers

With all the numbers given out to WHB football players, there are two that stand out: number 12 and number 0.

This is Westhampton football’s 8th year giving out #12 to honor a student-athlete. The jersey was originally worn by Cory Hubbard, an alumnus who passed away in 2014 due to a hit-and-run crash.

Now his number 12 is a character award given to one player who shows coachability and leadership on and off the field, and the player who displays Hubbard’s attributes: maximum effort and strong leadership. It is a very special award for our football program. 

The coaches selected senior Kevin Smith for #12 this year.  Kevin said, “I was shocked when I was chosen and honored to get it.”

For Kevin, being number 12 means, “I’m playing for more than just the game and reminds me to play every play like it’s my last.”

The number 0 is also a special one for the ‘Canes.  “It represents a hard worker who is relentless and tough,” according to Coach Mark Johnson, who said senior Connor Rodgers was chosen this year because “he has a really good motor on the field.” 

Rodgers said, “I am grateful for being given the number and it is also a unique number too. I am proud to be wearing #0. The number shows the dedication I put into the sport this past year really paid off and I am ready to win it all.”

Congratulations to both Kevin Smith and Connor Rodgers on their accomplishments this season.