2019-2020 WHB Highlights

Kayla Graves, Staff Writer, Staff Writer

Although 2020 has been a rocky road, the 2019-2020 WHB school year is definitely one for the books!

The unforgettable year started off with themed football games which made it exciting and fun to support our football team. A wild pep rally, colorful spirit week, and board game themed homecoming came next. The sophomore boys put a unique spin on spirit week and decided to coordinate outfits with each other but not with the rest of the school. Finally, Sophie Waszkelewicz and Jesse AlfanoStJohn were crowned Mr. and Mrs Hurricane.

All Hurricane sports teams were booming with success. Girls basketball won counties and unfortunately because of COVID-19 they were not able to play in the LIC, but all the girls played their hearts out and had an amazing season. A highlight is when Belle Smith was honored as the school’s all-time leading scorer. 

The girls tennis team made it to LIC after a long hard fight in counties, and with the help of 8th grader Julia Stable, she gave them a winning lead. 

Boys Volleyball won LIC, lost states, but all played insanely good the entire season. Ryan Barnett, Blake Busking, Matt Lambert and Dan Habor all had an outstanding season. Dan and Ryan were awarded all county. 

Winter break was a time for trips! Dr. Gobler took a group of students on a service trip to help people in need and visit the beautiful scenery of Costa Rica. Also, the annual junior-senior trip was to Spain! The group of students had a blast exploring spectacular Spain!

WHB was lucky enough to receive new fantastic teachers. Mrs. Pillittier our new assistant Principal, Ms. Bergh, a science teacher, Mrs. Connelly an English teacher, Ms. Vollers an art teacher, Ms. Rhimer AIS teacher, and Ms. Johnson biology teacher. 

Although the 2019-2020 school year got cut short due to COVID-19, we definitely made the best of our year while we had it.