In the Eyes of Alopecia Areata

Jadyn Kass, Staff Writer

Alopecia Areata, a disease that causes hair loss, is often misunderstood. Alopecia is a very rare autoimmune disease that some people confuse with the side effect most commonly associated with cancer treatments: complete hair loss.

This disease, which is not contagious and is not curable, attacks the hair follicles causing them to fall out.  Although hair will fall out, there is always the possibility of it growing back, and wigs or hats can be worn to help cover it up. Alopecia might be a physical disease but has mental effects on people as well, typically causing anxiety and depression. People with Alopecia say that counseling helps. 

There are two different types of Alopecia: Alopecia Totalis and Alopecia Universalis. Totalis is when hair loss is only on the head.  Universalis is characterized by hair loss on the entire body. A WHBHS student living with Alopecia has Totalis.  He discovered he had the disease when he was washing his hair. He opened his hand and discovered his entire palm covered in hair. “It felt like a spider web,” he said.

At first, he was bothered by it but now he is used to it.  He said, “At first I was like, ahh this sucks, then I thought, maybe it’s not that bad.”   When starting school, naturally he was a nervous wreck. He said, “I was afraid someone would take my hat off and make fun of me and it be in front of a lot of people.”

It turns out, this was an unnatural fear; everyone at WHBHS has been supportive and kind. 

Ms. Andarakis, the school nurse at WHBHS, suggests that someone with Alopecia should “develop your own style” and “celebrate your own uniqueness.” She explains that it is important not to hide your disease as to letting it control you and if it really does bother you then you can get wigs and hats. 

He told me something that everyone should think about in their daily life.  He said, “Thinking of it as an accessory instead of something regarding judgement.” It is very hard to do something, wear something, or even in his case, do activities that you think are fun and not be judged but he found a way to do that. 

Mrs. A also thinks it is important for older people with Alopecia to go to children’s hospitals and spend time with younger children who have cancer so they can see there are other people who are bald and dealing with it. There are other reasons for balding, and in this process you might make new lifelong friends. 

He said that if he were to encounter someone who is going through the disease alone he would tell them, “I’m going through it you even if it is temporary for me or whoever else has it.” He wants to make it known that this disease can come up out of nowhere and even the healthiest of people can get it. He also wants to make is known that they could have friends or peers who have it in their school.

The message of this article is not to judge people just because they are different or have something that looks different. If you notice someone who is struggling just be friends and talk to them. Sometimes all people need is a friend. Don’t make assumptions about them and don’t start rumors about them. Be polite and don’t avoid them. Sometimes it’s best to pretend nothing is wrong than make something worse than it actually is.