Ms. Gallucci’s Move to America

Jordan Profeta, Staff Writer

Westhampton Beach’s Spanish teacher, Ms. Gallucci, shared her fascinating story of the transition of living in Argentina to America.

Born in Buenos Aires Argentina, Ms. Gallucci grew up around the time of the Dirty War with her family, until they decided to make their move to the United States of America. They were in search of a better life because of the war and because her grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins were already here.

Trying to make a living was challenging, but despite that, Ms. Gallucci’s father insisted that she and her mother stay home, while he went to work as an aerospace engineer.  

While at home, Ms. Gallucci and her mother watched Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and Sesame Street to learn English. She was soon put into ESL classes in kindergarten. After kindergarten she was removed from ESL because of how well she progressed in the English language. She said, “It wasn’t very difficult learning English because I was young.  When you’re that young, you’re like a sponge. I don’t even remember not speaking English.”

After high school, Ms. Gallucci attended college at Geneseo, Stony Brook and Dowling for her undergraduate and graduate studies. Soon after beginning her Masters, she got her first teaching position at Bayport-Bluepoint High School and later received her Post-Master’s Advanced Graduate Certificates in Building and Districts Leadership. Since then, she has been teaching Spanish class for 18 years hoping that she can educate young adults about Spanish culture and speaking. 

Her goals as a Spanish teacher are to make her students more worldly.  “I would love for my students to be able to go to a Spanish-speaking country and get around easily.  I want them to be able to order food, purchase souvenirs and communicate any other need independently and confidently.”

Former student Emily Galovic said, “I liked having Ms. Gallucci as a teacher because asking questions is easy and she is eager to help. I learned how to conjugate and gained a lot of cultural knowledge.”

America has provided a life that Ms. Gallucci believes she wouldn’t have been lucky enough to acquire if she lived in Buenos Aires.  She shared, “I have been afforded opportunities in the US that I wouldn’t have there. I am so grateful that we were able to come to this country and can’t imagine still living there.  My mom’s entire family and some of my dad’s are still there, and I see how much they struggle.”

Unfortunately Ms. Gallucci has not returned to her home country since before the pandemic, but hopes that she will visit her family there soon.