2020 Helping Out 2023

Paige Mignone, Staff Writer

The Class of 2023 is getting close to the start of their freshman year. As most freshmen are, students are nervous for the beginning of their high school career. With many fears, questions and anticipations, the Class of 2020 is here to talk to them about the realities of high school.

Incoming freshman Emily Galovic shared, “One of my biggest fears is getting trampled in the hallway because I’m so small.” Although the halls of the high school might seem big and scary to an 8th grader, incoming senior Carly Traynor said, “Stay on the right side of the hallway and pay attention to where you are going. I’m pretty small too and I’ve never had a problem. ”

Current 8th grader, Quinn McManus said he is “nervous to meet new teachers.” “Over the next four years you will grow to form really strong bonds with your teachers and you will realize that they are willing to help you with whatever you need,” said upperclassman Sophie Waszkelewicz.

Freshmen have a lot to look forward to for the new school year, underneath all the nerves. Eighth grader Jordan Profeta said, “It’s going to be so nice to be able to use my phone in the halls and at lunch.” Access to phones seems like an awesome privilege, but soon to be senior Chris Daleo warned, “It is nice to be able to use phones, but you have to be careful you don’t get too distracted by it, and make sure you don’t go on it in class because teachers don’t like that.”

Soon to graduate from EMO middle school, Luke Kilroy said, “I’m excited to play JV sports. I’m nervous that I won’t get playing time, I’m gonna practice a lot.” Varsity football and lacrosse player Jeff McBurnie said, “Sports in high school are so much fun. I made so many memories and friends from playing on teams. Practice hard so one day you could win LIC.”

A big change during freshman year is being introduced to kids from East Moriches. When incoming freshmen were asked how they feel about going to school with new students they all responded, “nervous.” It can be nerve-wracking meeting new friends but it is definitely worth it to go out of your way to meet new people. Upperclassmen and EMO alumni, Abby Kilroy said, “I was so nervous to be in school with Westhampton kids but I ended up meeting some of my very best friends.”

Freshman year is full of new experiences, with that comes lots of nerves. Relax freshmen, the Class of 2020 is here to help.