The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

Becoming a Gator

Hannah Donneson, Staff Writer

As juniors close out their third year in high school, most realize that they need to start thinking about colleges. The process is daunting, and as senior Phil Daleo suggested, start early, so you are not stressed. The more time you have the better.

When students in high school think of colleges to apply to, they only really focus on what schools will take their GPA or ACT/SAT scores. But in reality, there is so much more to the process, as colleges also want to see what type of person you are outside the classroom.  Having a thorough resumé and strong essay topics are key to getting accepted

Daleo recently completed this process and has some tips for students. From getting accepted to nine out of the eleven schools he applied to, one of the most important piece of advice Phil had was to “not limit any of your options based on geography or scholarships; always have a variety and a reach school.” If you are not a fan of the cold, but your dream school is up north, or the cost of the college is out of your range, still apply, because those factors could change. From global warming, to unexpected scholarships, these factors can always can shift to your benefit.

Phil’s recommendation to upcoming seniors beginning to start this process is to have your essay topic ready to go. Since this was the hardest part of his application process, Phil wants others to know if you get the essay out of the way early, a weight will be lifted off of your shoulders, and you will have less stress through the year.

After reviewing all of the schools he got into, his final choice was between the University of Washington, San Diego State University and University of Florida. He chose the University of Florida because of “its engineering program and its overall history; it has a great reputation and a great campus.”

Mrs. Angiporti, Phil’s guidance counselor, thinks this school is a perfect fit for Phil. “He kept all of his options open, and didn’t rule any school out based on location.” One of the main reasons she feels so strongly about Phil going to this school is because he is so excited to go.

Despite this, junior Thatcher Cord thinks Phil is only really going for his sister, Ellie, who just completed her freshman year.