England Vs USA

Gabrielle Montalbano, Staff Writer

Sure British accents are cool, but if you were a student in England would it be the same as to being a student in the United States? When compared to being a student here in the U.S. in England there are many differences.

Students in England have a specific uniform to wear and have very strict rules to follow. Students in England are required to wear something that consists of a blazer, a specific color determined by their grade and school and a plain skirt.

A friend of mine, Rose Harris, is a student at Abbywood Community School in Bristol said “My school uniform from year 7-8 (6th & 7th Grade ) was a green polo shirts with black trousers/skirts. Year 9-11 (8th Grade, 9th Grade, 10th Grade ) we have to wear blue polo shirts and in year 10 or 11 (11th And 12th Grade ) we are given purple polo shirts.”

In England a bell also that goes off at the end of the class but surprisingly this doesn’t dismiss students. According to another English student, Aishah Khan, “The bell rings and we wait until our teacher dismisses us and that’s only if we’re quiet.”

Some positives of being a student in England are that more students seem to graduate high school and college more than a student in the United States. The article “The U.K. school system vs. the U.S. school system”  states that “91% of students graduate high school in the U.K. and 77% of students graduate in the U.S.”

Jessica Morais, another English student said, “There are many after school activities to list a few are rugby, trampolining, singing, conspiracy theories, food clubs and so much more activities.”

It seems schools in England are more strict and more rigid than American schools, with an interesting selection of after school activities.  Cherrio!